Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Recipes

So, I've been told by all of my very generous friends that I'm a pretty good cook. I was looking at my sister-in-law's blog today and liked how she posts a menu every week of what she's making and thought that was kind of cool. I decided to put a little spin on that idea myself and post a family or favorite recipe for all my friends who are at a lossabout what to make this week. Hopefully you guys will enjoy these and most of them take no longer than 45 minutes with prep. I'll try my very hardest to post one recipe a week. I'm waiting to hear if you like them. Enjoy!!!

SAVORY PEPPER STEAK
Indgredients:
1 lb cubed steak or stew meat
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 tsp. minced garlic or garlic powder.
1/4 cup flour (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 8 oz. can diced or stewed tomatoes
2 bell peppers
2 packets of brown gravy
6 cups cooked rice
Method:
In a large sautee pan, heat oil, onion, and garlic. Coat meat in flour, salt, and pepper, and add to pan when the onions are cooked and translucent. Cook meat until brown on all sides. While you are waiting for the meat to brown, you can make the brown gravy as shown on the directions and cube the bell peppers. Once the meat is brown, add the can of tomatoes with the juice, green peppers, and brown gravy. Heat until it boils and brown gravy is thickened. Serve over cooked rice.
Hint: Not everyone likes green peppers, and it's a give in that the longer you simmer the mixture the softer the peppers will get. If you let the peppers get soft, then the flavor won't be quite as strong. If you like the crispy bell peppers, then cook just long enough for gravy to thicken.
Also, for all those who are Weight Watchers savvy, 3/4 cup of rice is 3 points whether it is brown or white, and 1 cup of sauce is three points.
I really hope you all enjoy this, it is a favorite!!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I am SOOOOO excited that your doing this! You can bet your boots I'll be writing them ALL down!!! Thanks!

Darcysmad said...

Thanks Erin!! You're so good for my ego!

Amy said...

Thanks!!! I can always use new recipies! i am so excited to cook like you!!!