Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Keeping it in perspective

First of all, I want to say thank you to all of you....this is the whole reason I'm doing this extremely uncomfortable thing. I need the supoort and the help of all the people I care most about in the whole wide world.

Secondly, talk about having a balloon deflated. I had the flu last weekend so I was definately not in the mood to exercise. I had a break on Monday and then got a really bad chest cold yesterday! Now, one of the biggest things I'm working on doing is chaning what I say to myself. This is REALLY hard because your inner dialogue is kind of automatic and it's really hard to catch youself being mean until after the fact. But, I keep it no secret that I'm a HUGE Dr. Phil addict. He's like my personal psychiatrist minus the one on one relationship. I'm reading his weight loss book and I went back to find something he said that really stuck. I'm going to follow as he says and not let myself get down about such a bad start!

"Recognize that there will be events over which you have no control. For example, you are not to blame for missing your morning walk because there's a real gully-washer outside. If you say, 'I'm mad at myself because I didn't get to walk today," you are inappropriately internalizing. You're blaming yourself for the weather!" -Phil McGraw

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is so true, you can't blame yourself for getting sick, just like you can't blame yourself for the weather. What matters is that you get back on that excersize horse when you feel well enough to do it. Forget about being mad that it didn't work out yesterday, be happy that you still have today! Love you and I think I might start a new love for the Phil-meister!

Debbie Burns said...

I love this! I had never thought about life that way. I'm so guilty of blaiming myself for things that are not in my control. Thanks for the post!