Tuesday, December 23, 2008

From the Mouth of Babes

I really must say that there are moments that I feel Aidan is so loving and compashionate that it's amazing he even needs any guidance whatsoever. He is so good natured naturally that I can't even explain it and Ryan and I have both said on occasion that we don't deserve such a special little boy.

Last weekend I spent in the kitchen making sugar cookies for Santa and Chex Mix for the neighbors. We bundled up the kids on Sunday to deliver our goodies and I had exactly enough for all of our surrounding neighbors and for some other friends further down the street.

We set off and we thought it would be cute if Aidan was the one to hand them the bowl of goodies and if we could get him to say Merry Christmas. After the second house he was really into it saying "I want to do it again." He was a little nervous looking at some of the people, but after a little encouragement he would happily say "Merry Christmas!"

On our way home we came across a family we did not know that had little kids outside playing in the snow. They had seen what we were doing and Ryan and I felt bad that we did not have any extra bowls to give; as we only had one bowl left for one of our closest neighbors. Without any time to react, Aidan took the last bowl out from underneath the stroller and gave it to the little boy without hesitation saying as happily as possible "Merry Christmas!!!" (I am crying even as I write this). I was so overcome with his generosity and the fact that he did not know that that bowl was not for that family. He just knew that we were out giving away goodies, and yet he was doing what Ryan and I probably would have done eventually, but with hesitation.

Well, we figured out something for that last neighbor that didn't get his bowl of chex mix, but the most important thing that day was the lesson I learned from this sweet 3-year-old little boy.

3 comments:

Amy said...

How sweet!! What a lesson in charity!

Jen said...

So touching. Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

Wow he is such a sweet boy! I love that!