Saturday, February 12, 2011

Inspiration and Motivation

I am a perfectionist. I always have been. Ask my mother. ;) I'm never happy with the things I do, I always see something that can be tweaked, some way that I can do it better the next time. I'm far too critical of myself. But....I think most women are. I was doing my nightly scripture study and came across this quote by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, and if you're at all like me, maybe it will help you too.

"Let me cite a hypothetical example of a dear sister in any ward, the one who has perfect children who never cause a disturbance in church. She is the one working on her 20th generation in her family history, keeps an immaculate home, has memorized the book of Mark, and makes wool sweaters for the orphaned children in Romania. No disrespect, of course, intended for any of these worthy goals. Now, when you get tempted to throw your hands in the air and give up because of this dear sister, please remember you're not competing with her any more than I'm competing with the members of the Quorum of the Twelve in the 50-yard dash. The only thing you need to worry about is striving to be the best you can be. And how do you do that? You keep your eye on the goals that matter most in life, and you move towards them step by step."

1 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks Darcy! I needed that! I am excited about the recipes too! One day I hope to cook lots!