Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Paper Halloween Cup Lights


Nicole and I found this cute project on the Good Housekeeping website. It was really easy and these cups look so much cuter even in person than on the computer. Plus, they're cheap and who doesn't love that? Nicole and I made this for about $10. The things you'll need to get started are: 3 oz. paper bath cups, an exacto knife, glue (we just used hot glue since it dries so fast), Halloween scrapbook paper, and a 20-25 count strand of led lights.

We cut apart one of the paper cups to make a template for the shape of the scrapbook paper we needed to cut out. Then we cut out the template in the various scrapbook papers we were going to use.

When that was done, we hot glued the templates right over the top of our cups. Our cups had a pattern to it, but after the project is done, you can't even see the pattern under the scrapbook paper. Also, be careful when you line the paper up or you'll get a bulge in the top of the cup.

Then we took an exacto knife and cut a small x in the top of the cup so we could push through the lights. Be careful when you push the lights through, as I tore a few of my cups and had to re-make them. I found 20 count led lights at Wal-Mart that were battery powered for $4.98. I love that they're battery powered because then you can put them pretty much anywhere!

Needless to say, Nicole and I loved this project so much, we're planning on making some Christmas ones. And, since they make scrapbook paper for any occasion, I might make cups for every holiday. That will ensure I'll get lots of use out of my battery powered led lights. They also said to use led lights instead of regular Christmas lights because of the heat involved, but just be warned, the led lights aren't that bright.

1 comments:

Nic said...

Super cute!!!! Love how it looks in your house. If only I could get mine to stay up on my mantle! :)